Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Shark

from July 5th
Jay had to work most of the weekend so when we picked him up at work today, we decided to do something special. The weather was perfect and I had off in observance of Independence Day, so we decided to head down to the South Street Seaport. Jay and I used to go on dates down there before we were married and I have many fond memories of going there together.
When we got there, we decided to eat lunch outside so we could watch all of the action and Ryan became fascinated with "The Shark", a speedboat painted to look like a shark that did a 30 minute tour around southern Manhattan. Ryan begged "Please Please Please can I go on that Shark?"
We told him we would take him if he finished all of his lunch. He started screaming hooray and I don't think I ever saw him eat so fast.
Unfortunately, Dylan was not tall enough and Ryan just barely made it....well, actually he didn't make it but I made them get out the tape measure and told them their 40 inch height marker was too tall. They measured him and I was correct - he was tall enough (40 inches exactly) and we were given tickets for the boat! Jay was nice enough to let me go with Ryan and he and Dylan waved from the shore as we sped away.
Before the boat departed, the captain started playing the theme from Rocky and told everyone that they would need to raise their hands in the air and scream if they wanted to go fast - let me tell you, I think that Ryan had his hands up for more than half of the ride.

I wish that the ride had been longer but it was a lot of fun - the captain played current Top 40 hits and Ryan spent the trip screaming, singing and "Catchin the wind with my mouth". His favorite part of the trip though was when we went under the Brooklyn Bridge and kept telling me "you better watch your 'ead mommy or the bridge is going to bam you" and then cracked up. I don't know where he comes up with these things....
Even though it was a touristy way to spend the day, we all had a great time - Jay, next time can be your turn on the Shark. Thanks so much for letting me have my turn today.

1 comment:

grandma said...

sure looks like Ryan is having fun. Sorry that Dylan wasnt able to go also. Maybe next time I can come although I dont know if I will hold my arms up like Ryan but if Dylan sits on one side and Ryan on the other and Grandma in the middle - I am sure that I will have a happy face on just like Ryan!! xoxooxxxx