Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Parent-Teacher Conference - Pre-K 2nd Semester

This morning, Jay and I went to a parent-teacher conference for Ryan and I was very proud of the report we got.   His teacher said he is doing very well and he has improved a lot from the first half of the year.    She said the he is a pleasure to have in class and is very good at listening (except during rug time especially if he is sitting next to the other boys in his class), participating in all activities, and she said that is very imaginative and good at storytelling/creativity during play time. (Erika, please translate - I suspect that means he doesn't stop talking and she will be reporting us to CPS shortly based on the tales he tells).  While there are areas he needs to keep working on, Ms. L said his language skills have made the most significant improvement (recognizing letters and writing).
(if you click on the report card, you can make it bigger) We have been working a lot on getting Ryan to hold the pencil the right way, and Ms. L said that if he is reminded, he will do it the right way. I think that as soon as we can get him to do that consistently, it will improve his writing a lot.   Of all the grades on the report card, I was most surprised that he draws a recognizable person.  I feel like I am always reminding him "Don't forget arms", "A person has two eyes and a nose", "Hair shouldn't be purple" etc.    The last time he drew a person for parent-teacher conference, it was scribble-scrabble and was all black, sort of like something you would see in a horror movie that a little kid drew before he killed his family.   I was pleasantly surprised to see his most recent self portrait.
We are working on his lower case a.  

I am really happy that Ryan is loving school - he has definitely learned a lot, enjoys going and has made some pretty good buddies.  I definitely think this year has been great prep for kindergarten.

Ryan - we are very proud of you.   Keep up the good work!

3 comments:

Grandma said...

I know that if Erika was his teacher (because Erika knows everything about kids) - she would have added an E column for excellent!!! Every item would be E and grandma would definetely agree that is what he should have gotten! Mrs. L you need to rethink! I love you smartest kid in the class Ryan xoxoxoxxx

Grandma said...

and by the way - (as Ryan always says) I recognized Ryan from the picture immediately. Beautiful writing and beautiful drawing. My grandchildren are very very gifted and have many talents xoxoxo

Aunt erika said...

Of course he is the smartest kid in the class! This report card is excellent and he is going to do so well in kindergarten...I just wish he was going to be in my class! I can't believe that he is old enough to be in kindergarten!!

We are so proud of you Ryan! Uncle Richie and I love you very much!
Love,
Aunt Erika