Thursday, June 12, 2014

Memorial Day Weekend - Hooray for Summer!

 To kick off summer, Jay and I decided to head down to Atlantic City with the boys the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.  We were so happy when we saw we were supposed to have amazing weather for the weekend, so we jumped in the car and off we went.
Michael, Jasmine, Grandma and Papa came too but we got down there first, so after checking in to the hotel, we headed to the beach for a bit. The kids love going to Atlantic City and this trip was no different  - they get so excited about staying in a hotel, Bally's is right on the beach and the Boardwalk has so much for the kids to see and do. 
 
The water was FREEZING, but as usual, the boys did not care and were in the water right away.
 When they got too cold, the dried off a bit and played in the sand building castles and burying their toys.
After a few hours, the rest of the gang arrived and we headed out to lunch at Landshark, an outside restaurant that is right on the beach and overlooks the steel pier.   We had a great lunch and spent most of the time telling stories, doing magic tricks and cracking up laughing.   (some of the magic tricks involved brightly colored shark toothpicks and while we were at dinner, I looked over and realized Grandma still had some stuck in her shirt haha)



After lunch, Jay and I took the boys over to Steel Pier for some rides and games and everyone else went to gamble for a while.   Sadly, there were a lot of rides that Dylan (and Ryan for that matter) wasn't tall enough to go on but we made the best of it and had fun anyway.

The swings were by far Dylan's favorite and if we had let him, he would have used all of his ride tickets on that one ride.   Even from the ground, it was very obvious Dylan was having a blast but it wasn't until I looked at my pictures later that I realized how much he enjoyed it.


Ryan was not really a huge fan though which I also didn't realize until later  (funny to see him vs. Dylan in the pictures)- he held on tight for most of the ride but did eventually let go. 


When I asked Ryan later if he liked the swings he said yes, but the next day when he was writing a story about his weekend, he wrote that he was worried the whole time that he was going to fall out :-(
When we ran out of tickets, we were all pretty tired so we headed back to the room ro relax for a bit, watch tv and get cleaned up.    We had planned that night to take the kids to play mini golf so after showering, we went back outside.

Dylan pretty much zoomed past all of us and played by himself while Jay, Ryan and I had a fierce competition....until Dylan's ball went down the hall at the 18th hole and he realized it was gone so I gave up mine.  Highlight of the golf game for me?  Ryan declaring "Mommy, can you believe how many hole in twos I am getting?"  LOL



We headed over to Caesar's after golf and met up with the others for dinner at the buffet and Grandma very nicely offered to take the kids so that Jay and I could gamble.  We all played some table games for a bit (no big winners) before heading back over to Bally's.  On the weekends in the Wild Wild West Casino, there is usually a bunch of stuff going on - beer pong, a bull riding machine, and music.  There was a live band that night and since the Rangers game was on, we decided to stand around, watch the game for a bit, listen to the music and people watch.   I think Papa and I could have stayed there for hours (actually, we probably did stay for an hour), laughing at all the people dancing and acting silly.  When the band took a break, we all went back to Bally's for some more gambling before calling it a night.
The next day, all of us met for breakfast before everyone went home. Jay, the boys and I decided to get in a few more hours at the beach though and the water was even colder than the day before.  We came up with a plan though to build/dig "a pool" and Dylan played there almost the whole day since the water was much warmer.
We had a great weekend at the beach and we were so happy to have a great kick off to summer.   We have a lot of fun stuff going on this summer and we can't wait!!
 

2 comments:

uncle michael said...

That black and white picture of them laughing in the "pool" is amazing!

Erika H said...

Sounds like such a fun time! I agree with Michael about the black and white picture, but I especially love the picture on the swings!! Wish we were able to come with you! xoxo