Thursday, May 7, 2009

Mommy and Ryan have a date

It had been a very long time since Ryan and I did something alone together and I thought that it might be good for both of us to have a date. Elizabeth said that she would watch Dylan so I decided yesterday that I would take Ryan to the movies. Ryan had only been to the movies once before and he didn't really sit still so I was not sure how it would go, but I figured we could always leave if he didn't like it and I really was looking forward to getting out of the house. The movie we were going to see, Monsters vs. Aliens, looked cute but it was only showing in Manhattan in 3-D and I did not have high hopes that Ryan would wear the glasses.

I told Ryan all about the movie on the way there: that it would be on a very big screen, that we could get popcorn and soda (to which he said "that's a great idea", haha), and that we would get special glasses to wear to see the movie better. We got to the theater and as soon as we saw the concession stand, Ryan ran right over and said to the man behind the counter, "Popcorn, soda please". While we don't make a habit of letting Ryan have soda, he is allowed to have sips sometimes so he was excited for the treat. When we walked in to the movie, Ryan said "oh wow" when he saw the big screen and we found some seats and sat down. I picked Ryan up and sat him in his own seat and turned around to put my bag down - when I turned back, Ryan was completely folded in half! Every time I would push the seat down, his legs would flop right back up until I wedged something between the arm rest and the seat so that it would stay down.
I tried to explain 3-D to Ryan, but I am pretty sure he didn't understand the concept. I thought once he saw the monsters through the glasses, he would want to keep wearing them but he wore the glasses for about 2 minutes and then said he didn't want to wear them anymore.
I kept trying to get him to wear them, but he refused. I took mine off for a bit just to make sure that the picture wasn't too bad without them and while some things were a little bit blurry, it didn't seem to phase Ryan at all. He watched the entire movie and was very quiet, even when he asked me questions. Ryan even stood up at a few parts of the movie when there was music and danced along. Every once in a while, he would get off his seat and stand or would ask to sit on my lap but for the most part, wanted to sit in his own seat.
When the movie was over, we were walking out and Ryan turned to me and said "Mommy, what your favorite part?" As if that was not cute enough, after I told him and before I could ask him his favorite part, he asked "Mommy, what Ryan's favorite part?" How cute is that??
I am so glad that we went on our date - I had so much fun and I think that Ryan did too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan, it sounds like you and mommy had a great time at the movie - I can't wait to hear all about it --BTW - you look like a young movie star in your glasses -- Can I borrow them??

Love you,
Omi xxoo

uncle michael said...

cool wallpaper! how did you make it 3-d like that?

Gamma said...

I remember the same thing happened the first time we brought your mommy to the movies - her chair kept folding too! Wish I went on "your date" - didnt they have a bigger soda?????