from August 2011
One of the highlights of the summer was our family trip to the Outer Banks. Like last year, we made a stop on the way on to the island at the Morris Farm Market to pick up some veggies, dips and fruit - the Farmer's Market is huge and has a great selection of stuff, plus the kids love stopping there and playing on the tractors. (although Ryan was convinced that they were infested with bees and bugs and would not go on any without a thorough inspection - he is for sure my kid) Dylan on the other hand ran right over.
Dylan tried to escape from Jay when it was time to leave because he still wanted to ride the tractor. The only thing that stopped him was his pants.
I could stay in the Farm Market all day (pretty sure Papa could too), trying all of the samples and looking around. Anyway, I realized after a while I didn't see anyone else inside so I paid and headed outside, afraid everyone was waiting for me. I had one arm holding a watermelon and a bag of stuff and the other holding a gallon jar of cider and more bags and then I see Jasmine standing in front of me, blinding me with her new bling. Turns out while I was inside stuffing my face with free samples and Jay was entertaining the kids on the tractors, Michael proposed to Jasmine! Not sure how Ii did not drop the watermelon or the cider.
What a great way to start off our vacation!
About 25 miles and 1.5 hours later, we finally made it to the house where Erika and Richie were waiting for us. It did not take long for all of us to head out back and in to the pool. Throughout the rest of the trip, almost all of our time was spent at the pool or the beach. The kids were on and off about the beach and sometimes it was just easier to stay at the pool - Dylan did not love the beach but Ryan had a blast making sandcastles and ditches all day. When we stayed at the pool, we had plenty of pool toys to play with.


Both kids were totally fearless when it came to jumping in the water and would not even wait for someone to catch them.
By the end of the week, Ryan was able to swim short bits without the swimmies. One of the favorite pool activities for the kids was "helicopter" - basically, they set in a blow-up canoe and Michael would throw the canoe as far as he could!
Dylan would go pretty far due to his weight and I am certain Michael got a great arm workout. On a side note, the favorite pool activity was pool beer pong, thanks to Richie and Erika's great pong table raft. I also was a big fan of our afternoon of Catch Phrase by the pool.
The nights are pretty quiet in the Outer Banks and after being in the sun all day, everyone really wanted to relax anyway. One night though, Grandma and Papa were super nice and agreed to watch Dylan so Michael, Jasmine, Jay and I could take a SUPER EXCITED Ryan to play miniature golf.

What a great way to start off our vacation!
About 25 miles and 1.5 hours later, we finally made it to the house where Erika and Richie were waiting for us. It did not take long for all of us to head out back and in to the pool. Throughout the rest of the trip, almost all of our time was spent at the pool or the beach. The kids were on and off about the beach and sometimes it was just easier to stay at the pool - Dylan did not love the beach but Ryan had a blast making sandcastles and ditches all day. When we stayed at the pool, we had plenty of pool toys to play with.
Both kids were totally fearless when it came to jumping in the water and would not even wait for someone to catch them.
By the end of the week, Ryan was able to swim short bits without the swimmies. One of the favorite pool activities for the kids was "helicopter" - basically, they set in a blow-up canoe and Michael would throw the canoe as far as he could!
Dylan would go pretty far due to his weight and I am certain Michael got a great arm workout. On a side note, the favorite pool activity was pool beer pong, thanks to Richie and Erika's great pong table raft. I also was a big fan of our afternoon of Catch Phrase by the pool.
The nights are pretty quiet in the Outer Banks and after being in the sun all day, everyone really wanted to relax anyway. One night though, Grandma and Papa were super nice and agreed to watch Dylan so Michael, Jasmine, Jay and I could take a SUPER EXCITED Ryan to play miniature golf.
Of course, he picked the green ball and green club because that is his favorite color.
Ryan also can still rock a mean "school pose"
After the short ride up to the start of the course, we all decided to try the course that we didn't do last year - amazingly, Ryan remembered which one that was.
Aside from the drunk crazies behind us, who were swinging full-force and were eventually moved away from us, we had a great time. Ryan declared himself the #1 winner and Michael the #2 winner and was thrilled when I told him that the #1 winner could keep his ball - pretty sure he carried the ball in his pocket for the rest of the trip. Grandma, Papa, Richie, Erika and Dylan: you were definitely missed.
to be continued.......(still up, beach photos, rock climbing and the dunes visit. )
1 comment:
thanks for reminding me of some very nice family together time. We all have special things to rememeber about our vacation. Although I was a little scared to watch those little boys in the pool - (who absolutely had no fear) it was pretty cool to see them having so much fun in the water. I know that everyone was so happy about the pool - especially me. The only thing I was more afraid of than the pool because you know what a good swimmer I am and if I had to help ANYONE I would have drowned first - was the beach - so for me it worked out great. Keep posting these wonderful times and memories for me - I love every one of them xoxoxxx
Post a Comment