“A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked” ~ Bernard Meltzer
I once read that having siblings is like being born with forever friends. I know many people that are not close to their brothers or sisters and I just can't and don't want to imagine what that is like. I am very lucky because I am extremely close to both Michael and Erika and we have a bond that has only gotten stronger the older we get - they are truly my "Forever Friends". They know how "cracked' I am and love me anyway, no matter what.
As much as I love my brother though, I don't know how any girl can go through life without a sister.
My sister Erika is my best friend.

How do you tie up a lifetime of memories in to one post to describe your best friend? You can't and if I tried, this post would be the longest one ever. I am sure it will come to no surprise to anyone that knows me that I cried trying to think of the right words to describe how much I love Erika (I probably am the corniest, most sentimental person any of you know and if I was writing about Michael, I would cry too). When Erika and Richie got married, I was so honored to be the Matron of Honor but it took me about 2 months to write my speech. Every time I got out paper, I kept crying trying to explain how badly I wanted Erika to be happy, to have all of the best things in life, how much I feel she deserves everything she wants.
(Morning of Erika's wedding, fixing my make up for the 10th time)
Growing up, we always shared a room and a 3.5 year age difference didn't leave a lot in common when we were in elementary/middle/high school. I don't think it helped that I wanted to be boss/teacher/mom every time we played a game. But as bossy as I was, Erika was always the brave one. I have a bunch of memories where I relied on her because I was too afraid to do something myself. I remember being 13 and going with Erika, mom and dad to the Belinda Carlisle concert at the Westchester County Center. All of the teenagers were on the side dancing and I so wanted to be with them and be cool - of course, I was probably the least cool person there in my mom's one-piece white and red jumpsuit with her red heels, but Erika still got up on a chair with me and danced so I would feel cool too. At first, I was so embarrassed but she wasn't at all. When all the kids on our street would play Flashlight Tag in the summer, I would tell her we should hide together so she wouldn't be scared, but really I was scared to hide alone and wanted her with me. Then there was the time in Las Vegas at the bumper cars when I turned to Erika for help when someone stole my bumper car.
Now that I am older, I don't know if I am any braver but I do know that I rely on Erika more than ever. I will never forget the night she stayed alone with me when Ryan was 6 days old......

Ryan SCREAMED all night long and I was hysterical and not once did Erika panic. She stayed up all night, pushing the music button on his swing every 8 minutes for about 6 hours because that was the only way we could get him to sleep and I was on the verge of jumping out of the window.
Erika and I talk at least twice a day, face time more than once a week, and visit each other as much as we can. Erika has lived in North Carolina for 9 years and I have gone to visit her at least twice a year since she has lived there. In all of that time, I have cried hysterically EVERY SINGLE TIME that I have left. One time, I was crying so much the security woman gave me a tissue and asked if I would be ok to fly lol. We have so much fun when we are together and I hate not knowing when we will be able to get together again. I am so happy for Erika that she loves North Carolina and has built a fantastic life there (has a beautiful home, a wonderful husband, and great friends) but I really hate that she doesn't live around the corner. I really just wish I could hug her some days, meet her for coffee or just talk to her face to face.
What do I love about my best friend? Everything! A few of the less sentimental things: She has the prettiest eyes and hair that I have ever seen and the softest hands. She can memorize all the words to any song even if she only heard it once. She doesn't make fun of me when I know none of the words to ANY song. Even though she moved south, she still roots for all NY teams (plus ECU) and tries to convert anyone she encounters. And she hates Emily Johnston at the Cape Hatteras lighthouse as much as me.
Now for some more serious: Erika is strong and brave in ways I know that I could not have been. She is a fantastic teacher and has given me such valuable advice on helping the kids in fun and productive ways. No matter how many times I call her crying about the same thing, she is patient, listens and tries to help. She can make me laugh like nobody else and there are more times than I can remember where I laughed so hard, my stomach hurt. She is the best aunt ever and loves my kids like they are on her own!
In November, Erika and I took our first "Girls trip", a night away to Asheville and it was amazing!!! It was so nice to shop, talk, drink, and have a sleepover party just the two of us and I really really hope that we can make it a tradition because I had so much fun.
Erika -I wish every day that all of your dreams come true. I love you so much!!! You are and will always be my best friend.
There is no better friend than a sister. And there is no better sister than you. ~Author Unknown



1 comment:
It really means a lot to a mom that here children are such good friends! You both talk about this wonderful weekend that you had and even though I wasnt there - or by the way invited....I could hear in your voices when you talk about it what a truly special bond you have. Nothing could make me happier. I love you girls more and more xoxoxoxx
Post a Comment