Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Spring Break - Part 1

Last week, Ryan was off from school for spring break and Jay and I were fortunate to be able to take the time off too.   By the time we got our acts together and started looking for flights (basically to anywhere with a beach) anything we found was a fortune so we decided to stay local and take a bunch of day trips.   We kicked the weekend off by taking the kids over to our our old high school with Omi and Poppy for an Easter Egg hunt.  When we got there, NOBODY was there but within minutes, hundreds of people were there and the kids had a blast.   I didn't get many pictures but it was a fun time!
  There aren't any pictures of Dylan from the hunt because he really only wanted to eat his candy.   During a break, Ryan opened an egg that had a crabby patty in it (ia crabby patty is a fruit snack shaped like a hamburger and is a SpiongeBob Squarepants treat).  Well, after that, Dylan went out to get eggs when it was his age groups time and opened each egg as he picked it up.   On the third egg, he held up his hands and yelled "YES!!!! Crabby Patty!" and walked right off the field, passing a whole pile of eggs along the way. 
Monday we went bowling and then Tuesday, we went to Six Flags Great Adventure for the day.   We have never been there other than during summer and it was great - it was not crowded at all and the kids got to go on a bunch of the rides multiple times without getting off.  First ride we went on were the parachutes:
There were a bunch of roller coasters that the kids couldn't go on and there were a few that Ryan was tall enough for but Dylan was not.   I thought that they would get really upset about it but neither kid complained about not being tall enough and both claimed that by the end of the summer, they would grow enough to go on more rides.  (Dylan is about 41 inches now and Ryan is about 46)  They did love running up to the height signs to see if they were tall enough.
One of the big favorites for the day was the ride Tango.  Both kids were tall enough to ride although I had to go with Dylan - they each went on it over 10 times.  
 
While we were on the ride, we realized that Rolling Thunder was right near by and Ryan was tall enough!! (Dylan wasn't) Because the lines were so short, Ryan got to go on with me while Jay and Dylan played at the arcade and then we swapped and I went on to tango another twenty times with Dylan while Jay and Ryan went back on Rolling Thunder.
On each side of the partk, there were little kids sections that were perfect for the boys, especially Dylan.  While Ryan went on another coaster with Jay, Dylan and I went to check out one of them.  Dylan looked at the rides and immediately turned to me and said "Let's go to the plane one and don't call me Dylan - I am Captain Jones now, you can be everyone else"   His Indiana Jones obsession continued while on the ride as he screamed at me "Marion, put your camera away and stop taking pictures.   This is the snake pit and you need to do something"

In one of the kids sections, there was a mini roller coaster - I had to ride with Dylan but Ryan jumped right in the front row and said "The front row is the best and I am totally going by myself"

Because this ride was not crowded either, each time we pulled in to the "station", the kids would scream "AGAIN AGAIN" to the ride attendant, who let the kids go again and again as they cheered. I am sure that the kids would have stayed on all day if I let them. 
Towards the end of the day, the kids asked if they could play a few games.  We let them each play a bowling game and they each won a hat, Ryan's was the Green Lantern and Dylan's was Batman.  Then Ryan BEGGED to "climb the ladder"
We explained over and over that it was really hard, that he would not be able to do it but he was SURE he could and begged us to trust him.  We finally gave in and of course he couldn't do it, but I know that he was so proud that he got to try.   I guess based on the game that Ryan picked, I should not have been surprised by Dylan's choice.
He could barely pick up the hammer but since every play guaranteed a winner, we let him try - why not when the prize would be the cape that complimented his hat?   and then of course we gave in and let Ryan try too.  Once everyone had their capes, we all decided it was time to head out.  After a little dance party at the entrance during which both boys displayed their fabulous moves, we left and both boys talked the whole way to the car about what they would/wouldn't ride again next time.  Everyone had a great day and the boys can't wait to go back! Who wants to join us next time?
 
stay tuned.. spring break part 2 to follow....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I want to go next time....

Unknown said...

I want to go next time....

Unknown said...

please please let me go next time I will be Satipo