Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pumpkin carving

I love family traditions. Since we don't have one for Halloween other than trick-or-treating, Jay and I decided to have a new one for our family starting this year- from now on, the night before Halloween, our family will carve a pumpkin together. Ryan and Jay went and picked one out yesterday, and Ryan was so excited about it, he told me about it the second I got home for work. Tonight, as soon as Ryan was done with his dinner, we put on a Halloween video and started carving the pumpkin. When Jay started to scoop out the seeds, Ryan was fascinated but did not want to touch them at all.
He did want to "mix soup" though (thanks Ratatouille) and took 2 huge spoons and mixed the seeds, first in the pumpkin and then in a big bowl while Jay and I finished carving the pumpkin.
I did most of the carving and I obviously need more practice since it was not my intention to make a one-toothed jack-o-lantern.
When it was Ryan's bed time, we turned off all of the lights and showed him the lit jack-o-lantern and he started screaming "OOOOOOHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!Happy day, punkin" and started trying to blow out the candles.
He even gave the pumpkin a kiss goodnight before bed. (neither Jay or I got one)
The next morning, the first thing Ryan started talking about was the pumpkin and had to go in the kitchen before we did anything to check on it. We will definitely do this again next year and I think Ryan will even get his own to paint so that he can be more involved. Can't wait for trick-or-treating tomorrow!!! Happy Halloween

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your pumpkin!! That's pretty funny that he associated the candle with the pumpkin's birthday! He is a genious!