Thursday, February 26, 2009

Reading

Almost everyday since Ryan was born, we have read him books at bedtime. We love the quiet cuddle time with him and he loves looking at the pictures and asking questions about the books. Ryan has really been paying attention while we read to him, and we have recently found him more frequently trying to read the books on his own. I don't think that he really looks at the words but I think that probably will come with time. I recently found out that many of the New York city library branches have a story time and I mentioned it to Elizabeth and she has started taking Ryan at least once a week. Jay and I have yet to have the chance to go, but Elizabeth says Ryan loves it and sits very quietly as the librarian reads to the group. After the first story time, Ryan and Elizabeth walked around the children's book section and read some more books in the children's section. Ryan was very unhappy when he could not take any of the books home so we decided to get him a library card and told him when he behaves at story time, he can borrow some books. Ryan was so happy and excited when he got his card

Elizabeth helped Ryan pick out some books and everyday since he brought them home, Ryan has sat at his table and read his books.

I didn't ask but I am guessing that Ryan picked out the book about Engines and Elizabeth picked out the books "Baby on Board" and "Mommy/Daddy love their baby". I LOVE the mommy/daddy book and Ryan loved the engine book and in theory, the baby on board book should have been perfect for continuing to prepare Ryan for the new baby to come. I am sure that is why Elizabeth picked it out but I am guessing she didn't read the book first. It goes through the different stages of pregnancy and changes that happen to mommy over 9 months. I was not surprised to discover the book was written by a man when I read the lines "Mom gets cranky a lot at the moment", "Mom says dad should practice sleeping on the sofa", and that dad brought sports magazines and his game boy in mommy's hospital bag. It is lies, all lies that mommys would do any of the above things, I have had wonderful behavior for the past 9 months and Jay I am sure has no interest in looking at sports magazines in the hospital. As a result, this book will be heading back to the library asap. (just in case any readers think I am being serious, the entire time I was in labor with Ryan, SportsCenter was on the tv and on more than one occassion over the past 9 months, I have told Jay he better bring home cupcakes or else!!)

No comments: