Monday, February 9, 2009

Saturday in the City

I think that this is the coldest winter I can remember - it has been below 20 degrees on more than enough days and it has snowed quite a bit too. Normally, I don't really mind the snow or cold but this year, I am already wishing for spring - maybe it is due to trying to navigate around a slippery, slushy sidewalk with an extra 30 pounds weighing me down. We finally had good weather this weekend (in the low 50's) and luckily, Jay was off all day Saturday and Sunday so we decided to enjoy the weather while it lasted and have some fun in the city. On Saturday, we took Ryan to the Children's Museum of Manhattan and Ryan had a blast. One whole floor was set up to help Dora and Diego (from the Nickelodeon shows) with an animal rescue mission - since Ryan loves both Dora and Diego, he had a great time playing with the musical instruments, helping build the Rainbow Bridge, and searching for Swiper and Baby Jaguar (Ryan loves to say he is a jaguar lately and roars, after which you must pretend to be afraid so Ryan can say "don't worry", haha).

Jay said he wanted to take my picture although I think he just wanted to show you all that true to mom's song, I AM so fat that I am bumping in to trees.

On a different floor, there were different play areas and Ryan's two favorites were the supermarket and the sand table. In the supermarket, Ryan would only play with the vegetables - as we went through the bins of food, I offered him pizza and a taco which he would not put in his basket, but he searched everywhere for a pepper, cauliflower, zucchini and an apple.
At the sand table, he would pour the sand from one cup to another until he realized it was more fun to pour it on his shirt and bury his hand. Ryan was nice enough though to make me a "dirt cake" which was delicious. (Pictures to follow)
After the museum, we had some lunch and then decided to walk back to the East Side through Central Park. Even though there are plenty of parks in our neighborhood, I do sometimes wish we lived closer to Central Park since there is a lot to do there. There was a big playground right at the entrance we went in so we let Ryan play there for a while. It is funny - for some reason, Ryan does not like going on any slides that are covered, but the tallest slide in the park doesn't scare him at all. He even told the kids on line ahead of him to go faster so he could get his turn.
We had a really great day and it was nice to do something different. Hopefully the weather will be just as nice next weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicole - Awesome job updating! I love that sweater!!