Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Cupcake maker

Betty Crocker better watch out!!! Ryan and I made cupcakes on Saturday and had a blast. We had four different types of cake batter and I let Ryan pick - well, great minds think alike because Ryan picked the same mix I would have picked: Rainbow Chip Yellow cake. Unfortunately, I didn't make sure we had all of the ingredients first and soon discovered we had no oil so Ryan (in his shirt, apron, and underwear) and I headed over to our neighbor "DeeDee"'s house to see if she had any. As soon as she opened the door, Ryan said "We making cupcakes and we have no oil - you have some?" - when she said no, Ryan walked the rest of the floor, banging on each neighbor's door asking if they had oil. Nobody did but I realized the chocolate cake didn't need oil so I convinced Ryan we should make that instead (he was an easy sell)!

We sat down together and cracked the eggs, poured the water and the mix and very quickly, we looked like we partook in a mud bog: Someone decided they needed to mix faster - can you guess who?? Ryan's legs and my arms were covered and I even found some behind my ear about an hour later. Before we "mixed" so much that we ran out of batter, I decided that lumpy cupcakes would be better than none so we put the batter in the pan, put the pans in the oven and got the "decorations" all set up:


When they were done, I let Ryan do the decorating while I licked the batter bowl.

I guess Ryan started to get hungry after a while (as you can see him drooling over his cupcakes above) and decided he rather decorate his mouth than the cupcakes.
**Disclaimer: the above pictures are not posed. I would recommend not eating anything with sprinkles that we may offer you**
Finally, after I realized there were more sprinkles on the floor than on the cupcakes, we decided it was time to put our decorations away and try out our cupcakes.
The verdict - the cupcakes were kind of dry and not so good, but the decorations were delicious!!! So far, Mr. Mischief has eaten 2 1/2 and when I say he ate 2.5, I mean ate the icing off 3, ate half of one and gave the rest to me. Next on our baking list: a rainbow chip gingerbread boy (ryan's request)

1 comment:

gamma said...

Ryan and mommy were nice enough to share a cupcake with me and Uncle Michael last week when we were over. I thought they were delicious - but now I realize why they were SO delicious - they had "special ingredients"! It always looks like mom and Ryan have so much fun with these joint projects. When mommy tells me about what you two did, it is hard to tell who has more fun doing these things - not the cleaning up part. Both of you are lucky to have such special times together and so many happy memories. I love all of you very much and love that you these events with us - even though I would love to be there too - they are almost as good looking at the pictures because every one of them captures exactly who he is!!! xoxoxox