Thursday, January 27, 2011

Snow, snow and more snow

This January has been the snowiest month in New York in more than 85 years according to Reuters. Last night, Central Park got 19 inches of snow which brings the total this month to 36 inches!!!   It snowed so much last night that NYC public schools were even closed (only the 9th time since 1978).    Jay left at 6 am for work and as soon as he saw the car, he realized he was not getting it out any time soon.  He went to Grand Central to take a train, only to find out that train service was suspended so back he came to the apartment and since we don't even own a shovel, he took our broom and headed out to deal with this: 


















Yes, that is our car!!!  Completely plowed in and impossible to get out with a broom - luckily, the deli up our street was open and they let Jay borrow a shovel and in his suit, he had to shovel for almost an hour to get the car out.  Knowing how deep the snow was, I decided to bring my camera so I could take come pictures to send pictures to Erika and Richie. I went out the back of the building and was amazed by how beautiful everything was - completely different than the street side of the building.  Every person I saw outside had a camera out and was taking pictures - I don't think they do justice to how nice our neighborhood looked though.  (if you double click on the pictures, you can enlarge them and see more detail)


























As I rode the subway to work, I thought about how nice it was to stand outside and enjoy the snow - everything was so peaceful, quiet and white and I was really glad I stopped to enjoy it for a few minutes. I almost felt like I wasn't even in the city. Then I got off the subway and realized unless it is in your backyard or front yard, snow really is a pain in the neck and not that great.  As I almost slipped crossing Times Square, I felt myself getting annoyed that my boots were getting dirty, the roads weren't plowed enough, and that a car drove by and sprayed me with slush.  Times Square was a disaster and clearly the city decided to let traffic act as a plow instead of really cleaning the streets.
Meanwhile, the kids were having an absolute blast at home.   All the kids in the neighborhood were outside and Ryan and Dylan were thrilled to join in.  Ryan found his friends from school and they made snowmen, had a snowball fight and went sledding.
Dylan, on the other hand, just wants to lay in the snow and eat it.  No matter how many times you tell him no, no matter how many times you knock it out of his hands, no matter how many times you tell him "yucky", the second you turn away, he is face first in the snow eating it up.



































I don't really mind the winter and generally, I do really like snow - but this year is a little much.  The kids are loving it and I am glad they are having fun but I am pretty sure Jay is over shoveling to get in and out of parking spots, I am tired of waking up to the plow guy banging the plow outside of our building at 3 in the morning, and I am pretty sure we will all have to get new snowboots for next year even though we all got new ones this year. Considering we are supposed to get more snow next week, I think it is time for us to invest in a shovel or two.  As a last resort though, I guess if we get snowed in, Dylan could always eat a path away for us.  

1 comment:

grandma said...

on Fridays when we walk Ryan to school when the street is full of snow, the whole walk Dylan is trying to eat the snow. While I am sweating to death fighting him to get in the carriage and yelling dont eat that snow - dog poopoo is on the snow he just yells at me NOOOO...me Dylie.... in the meantime being bombarted with snow balls from Ryan who is also yelling "grandma, snowball fight" and throwing snowballs full speed at me, Good thing school is only half a block away! But if school was 2 miles, I would still want to do it because in between sweating to death I am also laughing too much. xoxoxxx thanks boys for keeping me young!