Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Happy 4th of July

(In an attempt to catch up on this neglected blog, a goal of mine is to post more this year.  So far, I am on a roll but I may have a lot of catch up posts over the next few days/weeks.  Since the weather has been horrible lately, I thought a good summer post would be good).

We had perfect weather this year for the 4th and spent the whole day outside enjoying it.  Unfortunately, Jay had to work but the boys and I went over to Omi and Poppy's where the boys were thrilled to find out Omi had filled up their pool.   The second they saw it, they both jumped in even the the water was absolutely freezing!!! They refused to wait for the sun to warm up the water a bit.  
I couldn't even get Dylan out of the pool long enough to eat.  We were sitting outside eating breakfast and as soon as I turned around to cut more fruit, Dylan ran off back to the pool and had a fit when I tried to get him out.  Oh, well - guess I need to pick and choose my battles.  Dylan - 1, Mommy 0


 After a few hours, the kids were shivering and pruned so they got out and dried off for a bit until Alexa and Jackie came over and then it was time for the Slip -n- slide!!!! Ryan was so excited and had a very hard time being patient while we set up all of the stakes to hold the slide in place.   It also took awhile for him to understand the concept of getting a running start but once he figured it out, he didn't want to stop. 

Ryan and Alexa quickly got the hang out it and were giggling non-stop as they slid down and ran back up as fast as they could.   They usually only made it only halfway back up though before jumping back on to slide down.  I loved watching Ryan and Alexa play together - they are so funny together and I am really glad that they get along so nicely.  As much as Ryan and Dylan have fun together, I could tell Ryan was happy to have someone his own age to play with.
Dylan was pretty content to just play in the grass, especially since he kept falling off the tube.
Later that night, following Mengel family tradition, we headed over to Sleepy Hollow Country Club to watch the fireworks.  Jay first took me there back when we were dating and I love the fireworks show there.   While we waited for it to get darker, the kids played in the sandtraps, ran around with the other kids there, played frisbee and when it got darker, got to play with glow sticks and we lit sparklers.  
The fireworks were a perfect end to a fantastic day. Both boys were bummed out when the show was over but they were wiped out from the day and were asleep within minutes.

No comments: