Thursday, January 12, 2012

52 Week Project - Week 2 - Black and White

I suppose when you say black and white as a theme for a photo challenge, one thinks of black and white pictures,  however, as I tried to think about what I wanted to photograph, I realized the answer was right in front of me.  

52 Week Project - Week 2- Black and White
The Composition Book

This composition book and many like it have become important to Ryan as his kindergarten year progresses.  Ryan loves school and I am very thankful for that. He has a composition book at school and he keeps his poetry in it: he loves the poetry book so much that we brought Ryan a few composition books for home so that he could keep all of his drawings and writings together.  We try to get Ryan to practice a little bit everyday after school or on the weekend but he doesn't always want to.  Many pages just say Ryan and Dylan and have some kind of drawing.
(and for the sake of this project, here are some black and white photos)



 If you tell Ryan we are going for a ride in the car though, the first thing he almost always asks to bring along are his notebook and some markers (and post-its if we have any around).

 His favorite thing to "write" about is some sort of list - a shopping list, a list of things he wants to do, things he wants to buy/eat/play etc. In recent weeks, Ryan has become much more interested in writing which is great. It has been frustrating at times for both Jay and I, as well as Ryan as we all try to navigate through learning reading and writing but we are really starting to see improvement and I am really proud of Ryan.  It is so exciting for everyone when he can read a new word or spells a word the right way and I know that eventually everything will click and Ryan will know what to do - just this week, Ryan was able to read a full sentence in one of his books, not because he had memorized the line but because he knew some of the words and sounded the others out.


The highlight of my day is coming home from work and hearing about everyone's day and I am loving that more and more stories are involving school, friends and things the kids learn. Who knows, by the end of the year, my oldest genius may even be able to write his own blog post.  For the time being, I will settle for help with the shopping list. 

3 comments:

aunt erika said...

I LOVE this post! Perfect for this week's theme. I am so proud of Ryan! Kindergarten is such a fun year and children learn and grow so much during this year of school. I am glad that Ryan is enjoying school, but I wish he was in my class! Keep up the great work Ryan!
P.S. I am very impressed that he holds his pencil correctly!! :)

neilnyc said...

Great pictures, Nicole! Love the first and last pictures the best. The lighting and composition are good and you can't get a cuter subject matter! Love, Neil

grandma said...

On Fridays when it is my day - taking Ryan to school is such a treat. I get to hold his hand and get to listen and talk to him all the way to school. A few times that Jay was there and I didnt have to bring Dylan was really a special occasion for me, just to appreciate Ryan alone. From these pictures you can see the twinkle in Ryans eyes. Well the special times that I have with Ryan and Dylan makes ME have that twinkle. They sure are very very special in my life and make me very happy. I cant believe that they are so big and in Kindergarten and pre school. How did they get so big already??? xoxoxx grandma