Sunday, June 17, 2012

52 Week Project - week 16 - Rain

Let the rain kiss you.  Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops.  Let the rain sing you a lullaby.  ~Langston Hughes
I think that I hate rain more than the average person. My hair gets frizzy, I don't like getting "misted" on, and frankly, sometimes I feel like I will melt on the sidewalk, just like the Wicked Witch of the West.   The kids seem to love the rain though, especially when they are allowed to jump in the puddles (which is pretty much never, unless they are with one individual who shall remain nameless).   

I needed a little pick me up a few nights ago and nothing can do that like listening to the kids laugh - they did not disappoint and they couldn't believe it when I told them to get dressed because we were going out to play in the rain (very very unlike me). 

Luckily for the boys, we seem to get pretty good puddles near the corner but there was some flooding right in front of the building and the boys didn't even want to go to the corner
 The boys decided to line up against the outside of the building to get a "head start for a better splash" and of course, I stood in the middle of the road to make sure no cars were coming and to take pictures. 

More than once, Dylan screamed "THIS.IS.AWWWWESOME!! and Ryan was laughing so hard at times, he was bending over holding his belly.   The kids were laughing so hard and having so much fun that a bunch of people actually stopped to watch for a few seconds and all of them left cracking up laughing too.

Of course, my children never do something "a little bit" and it was not long before their pants started getting wet.  Reminiscent of my childhood trip in Hawaii and swimming in the ocean at night with Erika and Michael, the more one boy got wet, the other wanted to be wetter.   Eventually, they both "tripped" and ended up laying in the water and that is where I definitely draw the line. 
I have to admit,  I felt a lot better by the time we got upstairs and the kids laughed about it for an hour.  Maybe next time, I will have to rock my awesome Jets rain boots and jump in some puddles too!


Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.  ~Author Unknown

1 comment:

grandma said...

Whoever the mystery person who would let those children play in puddles must be a fun fun grandma -oops I mean fun person....Just looking at them in the picture you start to laugh because you can just hear their laughter and wish you were there to join the fun. As long as it wasnt mud - maybe next time some other mystery person will try that out xoxoxoxx