Sunday, July 26, 2009

Geographic Tongue

**Warning: Crazy Photos Included**

Ryan has a Geographic tongue. Yes, it sounds totally made up and we had never heard of it until we told the pediatrician that we thought Ryan's tongue looked funny at his 3 month appointment. It was then that she told us about Geographic Tongue. She explained that the top of the tongue is covered in papillae. When someone has geographic tongue, their tongue had red patches on the surface of the tongue bordered by grayish white. The papillae are missing from the reddish areas and overcrowded in the grayish white borders (I had to look in wikipedia for a good explanation). It is common and true in Ryan's case that the small patches may disappear and reappear in a short period of time (hours or days), and change in shape or size. Geographic tongue does not go away, but in the case that it someday does, I started to take some pictures of Ryan's to show him when he is older. The doctor promises me that it doesn't bother him at all but sometimes, it looks so horrible, I don't see how it doesn't hurt. Here are some pictures just from the past month:



When I ask Ryan if it hurts him, he always says no and matter of fact, he thinks that it is funny to look in the mirror and check out his "circles". It would figure that my wild and crazy boy has such a crazy condition. Well, I guess he will always have a good answer to "Tell me something unusual about you"

2 comments:

gamma said...

of all the crazy things that could go wrong - leave it to Ryan to get something nobody has heard of - although it doesnt stop him from eating anything or talking NON STOP - it seems like it looks worse than it is.

What I want to know is - is there a condition that makes you veins in your neck pop out when you dont get what you want??? I think he has that too!

Nicole said...

LOL - Mom, that is a good one!