Friday, January 20, 2012

52 Week Project - Week 3 - Self Portrait

Of the three weeks, this was the hardest one yet (maybe i should have picked easier themes, lol).   I didn't want to take a picture of me just sitting around: Instead, I wanted to come up with an idea that was really a reflection of who I am which than made me think: Who am I?   
I am a mother, a wife, a daughter, a sister, a cousin, a hard-worker, a friend.  My favorite colors are pink and purple.  I love traveling, photography and all things crafty.  I have more Jets and Yankees gear than any female I know (maybe Erika is close) And I think there is nothing better than spending time with the boys, Jay and family.   

I strive to balance all of the above and be great at each role but it doesn't always seem to work out that way.  I work long hours and by the time I get home from work, play with the kids, read books and do homework and get everyone in bed, it is usually almost 9 and I still have not eaten my dinner.  Sometimes, I feel like life is a juggling act and the "work'" ball is in one hand and everything else is in the other - other days, the kids dominate all of my attention.   I wish there was more time to really devote to everything in my life but no matter how much I wish for it, I won't be able to create more time in the day.   I can try to create better balance in my life though.   
There are days that I walk in the door after a long day at work, just wanting to relax and read a book, and instead am met at the door by the kids fighting amid a huge mess and I feel overwhelmed, like my world has been turned upside down
 
But there are other days that I come home to perfect little angels who want to play a game with me or make an "art projeck" and I realize that I should try to enjoy more and be more appreciative of my free time because I have people who want to share it with me.  

Balance is not better time management, but better boundary management.  Balance means making choices and enjoying those choices. 
- Betsy Jacobson

Maybe that is my problem - instead of really enjoying the time I have being with family, friends or by myself, I am always worrying about the "other stuff" I am not doing.   Maybe part of finding my balance is sometimes putting all commitments aside and enjoying where I am and who I am with.  I am very fortunate that I have so many wonderful things in my life that need balancing and maybe the key is to some times step back and give each part of my life more individual attention instead of balancing everything at once. 
Hmmmm, on the other hand, maybe I am better at balancing than I thought!!
until next time....

2 comments:

Erika H said...

I love this post! Cute pictures and great story. You are very pretty and creative! :) You are great at all you do! I am lucky to have you as a sister and I love you very much! xoxo

mom said...

I think that you do a pretty damn good job at all your balancing acts. I loved this blog. I knew alot of it before you posted it, but I think it just made me even more aware of how hard you work and maybe that you dont know how much it really is appreciated by ALL. Keep it up and one day you will look back and realize everything you managed to balance was alot of hard hard work - but you were great at it. I love you very much xoxoxx mom