Friday, February 3, 2012

52 Week Project - Week 5 - Dessert

As a kid, I was never a huge dessert person.   After school, we would have a snack and it was more likely that I would choose a bowl of raw peas or string beans than a junky snack. Not sure when that changed but at some point, I realized that I liked twinkies, ring dings and yodels also.  For a long time, my favorite dessert though was strawberry ice cream (now it is cookies and cream) and my favorite cake was a Strawberry-Graham cracker ice cream cake from Carvel - it was the only cake they made that had NO chocolate ice cream and to this day, I still don't like chocolate ice cream.  AT ALL.  It is funny because both boys don't like chocolate ice cream either although they both love mint and I don't like it (pretty sure that was Grandma's influence).    Over the weekend, we were with Erika and Richie and when my ideas of my "dessert" entry didn't quite work out, I was happy when another option presented itself.   (my original idea was to take some nice pictures of Erika with her birthday cake but when the restaurant brought it out, I realized that there was no amount of photographic genius that would fix up that cake)
  
Anyway,  we had a fantastic day in Wilmington with perfect weather and fun activities, which I will post separately when we saw a bunch of people walking around the street with waffle cones.   It did not take long for us to sniff out the shop and it was even better than we imagined.   The kids were super excited and Dylan immediately declared he wanted the "green" one so he waited with Jay outside and Ryan came to pick his.   I started to read him the list of the many choices but he knew right away what he wanted as soon as he saw it.
Funny how kids pick the grossest looking one - I am not convinced that it is not a trick so they don't have to share.   I thought it would be a "topper twister"  but nope, Ryan declared it to be delicious and didn't even offer to share - by the time I got out of the store, he was already almost finished.
Dylan did a great job with his also but he was a bit distracted by his surroundings - right when he got his, a horse and buggy came by and after that, I am pretty sure Dylan got more ice cream on his shirt than in his mouth.
 
The store was really nice and so were the people that worked there.   In the area closest to the window, there was a girl making fresh waffle cones and a boy making peanut and praline brittle and as I took pictures for the theme, I looked out the other side of the window and saw Erika doing the same, lol. 

As much as I love ice cream though, it is no secret that my favorite dessert is cupcakes and I prefer baked cakes (yeah costco) over ice cream cakes- I am pretty sure I love cupcakes more that anyone over the age of 5.  I am not too picky when it comes to the kind of cupcakes, but I will always pick a vanilla cupcake/red velvet one over a chocolate one.  White icing and yellow cake is the way to go!! New York has no shortage of places to buy delicious cupcakes and working on a floor with more than 200 people, there is never a shortage of birthday cupcakes going around.  Not long ago, they built a cupcake store in the lobby of our building.  
 
While I love the idea that these cupcakes are bite size, they of course do not do enough to satisfy and before you know it, you end up eating three of them.
 
I much prefer the cupcakes from somewhere else though when i am really in the mood for a treat. 

There are SO many delicious choices and options and I am generally a sucker for "themed" cupcakes or the "Flavor of the Month" - this time was no different.
$3.95 and about 250 calories later (I made my friend at work split it with me), a boring and busy Thursday afternoon got a whole lot better!! Love me some cupcakes, mmmmmmmMMMM.

3 comments:

Erika H said...

The cake actually tasted much better than it looked and the "Happy Burss-day" song was a treat too! lol

Those little cupcakes would make me mad because it would not satisfy my craving. The Crumbs cupcake on the other hand looks delicious!!!

This post makes me want to have dessert right now!! Great pictures! :)

I had such a fun weekend with you guys and I can't wait to see you again! xoxo

C Miller said...

Yum! Looove cupcakes, and Kilwins is my favorite ice cream! I know you said you don't like chocolate, but the chcolate peanut butter is to die for.

Great pictures, the cupcake closeups are drool worthy! :)

grandma said...

Erika's birthday cake looks a little like Ryan and Dylan decorated it. And sorry to say that Ryans dessert looks pretty yucky too. The mint chocolate ice cream that the boys eat - certainly have a little to do with Grandma, but it all started because I let them pick out the ice cream they wanted and of course because Ryans favorite color green.....we all ended up with mint (good favorite color Ryan). Nicole - your little Jet balls that you make look much yummier than any of these desserts and I am sure they taste better too!!