Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend 2008 - Saturday

What a fun weekend!!! The weather was great all weekend so we spent a lot of time outside doing a lot of fun things. On Saturday, Jay and I took Ryan to Rye Playland with Omi and Poppy. I remember going to Rye Playland as a kid (it used to be a reward trip at the end of the year with school) and while I have not been there in years, I think that it is perfect for kids because they have a pretty big kiddie ride section. Ryan loved all of the rides we took him on and I still can't believe that none of them were scary for him. Some of the highlights of the day:

The first ride we went on was the carousel. Ryan has been on one before and loves them. He couldn't wait for his turn but started crying and screaming "off off" before the ride started. I think that he saw another ride across the way going really fast and got nervous, but as soon as the ride started, he was fine and cracked up laughing the whole time and waved to Jay every time we went by.


Next, Jay and Poppy took Ryan on the Ferris Wheel and Jay swore that he will not take Ryan on it again.


The ride started off ok and Ryan sat down once the ride started moving but because of the start-stop motion of the ride as people get on and off, Ryan wanted to keep standing up on the seat to see what was going on.
I think Jay probably held on to Ryan as tight as possible without physically hurting him so he would not fall out. As Omi and I watched them go by, we really couldn't see Ryan. Sometimes, we saw his little hand sticking up over the top, but I really had a good laugh when I saw this:
They were stopped at the time (about to get off), and Ryan was not as close to the door as he appears (which pushed in, not out and Jay was holding his arms)
After the ferris wheel, we played a few games and Jay was the hero when he won Ryan a prize:
Elmo has slept with Ryan every night since Saturday and Ryan brought him almost everywhere we went this weekend.
Omi took Ryan on the train which was probably his favorite ride since he is obsessed with trains.
My favorite part of the day though was the Demolition Derby ride. When we got on line, we didn't realize how fast the ride went and to describe it, it basically was pretty fast moving cars that seemed like they would collide and at the last second, you would veer apart from each other. Ryan laughed the whole time and loved the way we were getting jerked around.
The funniest part about the ride though is that adults are only allowed to ride in the back so only one of us could go and Jay was nice enough to let me go. As he was getting off the line, the lady behind us told Jay (yes told, not asked) to go on with her son because she had too many kids and not enough adults.
Ryan didn't understand why Jay was sitting with other kids and not us and kept screaming "Daddy daddy" until the ride started. (then he kept laughing)
I love this last picture of Ryan (on the Himalaya) but it made me sad a little bit too: He looks like such a big boy and while I had so much fun going on the rides with him, soon he won't need us to go with him anymore. I hope that he will still want to go on some with us because I sure do love a good roller coaster!

No comments: