Saturday, February 26, 2011

How are you almost 2?

(from 2/26/11  - so many things are different already)
Dylan,

I have not written you a letter in a long time but it is not for lack of things to say about you.   I really don't even know where to start to describe how good you are, how cute you are or how completely hilarious you are.   You continue to be the happiest kid I have ever seen - you never cry and have a great personality.  But man, do you have a mind of your own and have a bad temper when you don't get your way.   You have fully mastered the pouty face, furrowed brow included.  If we say here, you say there.  If we say up, you say down and laugh at us.
For the past few months, you have been talking much more and you are really starting to pick up a lot of words now.   You call milk "muk" and ask for it all day long - you even recently started saying "peas" for please. You can name every Thomas train, just by looking at their faces - your favorites are Es (Thomas), Percy and Mighty Mac, but we all make you say "ofiler" all the time because it is so cute (his name is really oliver).   You have even been telling knock knock jokes lately because Ryan has been obsessed with them.   You always tell the whole joke though and it is always the same "Knock knock, who dere, percy - hahahahahaaha". lol.
Besides playing with trains, you spend a lot of your free time following Ryan around, trying to copy whatever he does or play with whatever he is playing.   He is your "ya-yi" and you are always looking for him.  You love playing hide and seek with him but you are not very good - as soon as he says "Dylan, are you over here?", you came out from wherever you are and say "no, here".   Your favorite hiding spot?
If we let you, you would eat ALL DAY LONG.  About 2 months ago, you figured out how to open the refrigerator and there has been more than one occasion when you have snuck in to the kitchen and come back with the jar of pickles, a stack of cheese, or a juice box declaring "me dillie, op. (open)"  You can also reach up to the counter and your favorite things to grab from there are "ips" (chips), "cesill" (cereal), and fruit (your favorite fruits are strawberries and blueberries although you eat it all).  If we need you to sit still for a minute (for example during a haircut), I just need to give you a treat and you are good to go.
You are amazingly strong.  The other day, we put you in your crib for "time out".   By the time Daddy walked back from your room and sat down,  you somehow managed to get out of your crib (first time you ever did that) and came out, looked at us and smiled and just sat down like nothing happened.   You have not climbed out since then, but I am guessing it wont be long.  You also have an unbelievable arm, both righty and lefty although we think you are a lefty - I think Daddy is hoping so you can be a hot commodity pitcher someday. You even seem interested in sports, lol.
 You sleep with a blankie, which until last week, you called your bic: now it is your blankie.  You take it out of your crib with you every morning, you look for it whenever you have milk, and sleep with it every night, but if you dont have it, you never cry for it.  You only cry about not having it when you see Ryan touching it.

You are almost 2 and I really don't know where the time went.  You are so cuddly and kissable - every morning before Ryan wakes up, you sit and let me hug you for a bit and I am dreading the day that you don't want to do that anymore.  For now though, I will cherish it: that and your sweet smell when you wake up, that you always say "mornin" when we take you out of the crib and that you start every single day smiling.  Without a doubt, it helps me start my day out the same way - Smiling
I love you so much
mommy

3 comments:

uncle michael said...

Whenever he is over Grandma or Grandpas he can find the tub of popcorn anywhere! He usually carries it over to Papa and says, "Pappa, op (open)! Try!"

He is the best kid ever, he always listens to what I say, but he does suck big time at hide-n-seek.

Grandma said...

He may stink at hiding for hide and seek - but he can find anyone in a second. When Ryan is stumped he automatically calls for Dylan to help and there goes Dylan to find you - and he always does!

Grandma said...

It seems like in between the days that I dont see Dylan, he adds another huge amount of words to his vocabulary. I never know what to expect when I come to babysit (thats right Nicole - Fridays) Now instead of bossing me with one word - I am bossed in sentences. "Gwandma - sit down, get plate for Dillie, please Dylie mook - thank you" He and Ryan make me laugh the whole day even when it isnt funny, grandma thinks it is.

They may fight between themselves -but if anyone gets in either of their ways - watch out.....I love that Dylan and Ryan are so protective of each other. Last week when we went to the bookstore and Ryan was upset that a kid was not playing "correctly" which means not listening to Ryan - Dylan just walked over to him - tried to pick the kid up by the back of his collar (which by the way - the kid was bigger than Ryan) and move him so Ryan could do what he wanted to - way to go Dylan!